Thursday, June 19, 2008

My new job and Garrett's math class

Well everyone keeps asking about my new job so I figured I'd tell ya what I know so far! I started Wednesday. I need it for my intern credit at school but also want to get into the design field. It's called Bedrosians Tile and Stone and I'll be working there every Wednesday, Friday and every other Saturday (not excited about working Saturdays), I won't be online at all so that is why (I'll be working at Davis all the other days during the week). I will be working in the showroom. They just opened the showroom part so if you had been there a while ago when it was a mess (they were working out of the warehouse), you need to check it out now. It really is an awesome showroom and they have a lot displayed in actual vignettes. It's over on 3300 S. 900 W., they have about 30 locations but that is the only one in Utah. The first day went good, it was typical for starting a new job; a little uncomfortable and lots of information. I will have to get used to working on my feet all day again, I've gotten lazy working in an office full time! If any of you have switched to an office job to an active job, you now what I mean. Your feet kill by the end of the day (more so than when you are used to working the "on your feet" job)! Walking on hard flooring all day probably doesn't help either! ;) It's a little weird for me so far going from having my own office and managing my own work to going back to a job where I am more managed and work Saturdays... ;) But I'm not complaining because it is a good starter job for design and pays much better than almost all other showroom jobs I know of. I do have my own "desk" and computer (out front, next to the other showroom people) so I do get to sit sometimes so that's good! My basic job is showroom sales; assisting customers with products and helping them with their design, showing them the slab yard, doing samples, submitting their order and of course a lot of other tasks. So I don't really know what else to say about it, I tried to give details so hope thats everything! I really like it so far!

Other updates: Garrett started his Math 1050 class and it's no fun, especially since he hasn't taken any math for about 5 years and skipped 1010...! He has a test about every 2 weeks or less that have about 180 or so problems (almost all of them are a different concept too, not just repetitive) that he needs to do prior for his homework, he is in the "quick" class that is 2 months long instead of 4. He's still working full time and we went out of town the weekend before his test (didn't know about it very much in advance) so he's been trying to cram it all out in the last week. He does well with it but it just takes so much time! He was supposed to take his test Tuesday but wasn't nearly ready so he is taking it tonight and he's still trying to finish up in between work today... Poor boy! I'm so proud of him for all of the determination and hard work he puts into his schooling! Even probably his least favorite class ever! I hate seeing him work on it so hard and for so long and still have so many problems left! Well see after this test if he is going to try to take this class another time, he has a foreign teacher and the whole class is having a hard time with him and many have dropped out already.

So those aren't the funnest posts or most interesting posts but that's what's new right now...

2 comments:

Rachael said...

hey Kristen! I know I wrote on facebook, but I thought I would write on here too and say Hi! That's cool about your new job and I hope it becomes more exciting! :) ~Rachael

Rachael said...

k, so I just noticed that you wrote some comments on my blog... sorry! That is awesome that you love Cary Grant too! I will have to borrow some movies, or better yet, we'll have to watch them together since Ryan doesn't like to watch old movies. :) So, there is a charcole BBQ back behind our building that we were planning on using, but we'll have to let you know when we do it. Well, back to work. Later!